Blissful afternoon......or not.....

I had to work last Saturday and when that happens I get a day during the following week where I only have to work half of the day. This happens about every 6 weeks or so. Often I have errands and things that need to be done on those days, and rarely I get the chance to go straight home and do whatever I want. I had a half day yesterday and it was one of those rare times when I had nothing else planned but to go home, eat lunch, walk on my treadmill, and do some sewing before cooking supper. As I sat down to my sewing machine, I was thinking about blogging about how nice and peaceful it is to have a quiet afternoon at home just the cats and my sewing machine. I was busily sewing away when one of my cats, Aeris, who is two years old and still pretty rambunctious at times, came into the sewing room. She kept trying to get into things, but then finally settled down and laid down on the desk behind my machine. She was just laying there being good when I turned my back on her for a few moments to look in my manual how to do something on my machine. I turned back to see her struggling with something in her mouth. (Now, if you don't know, cats have a hard time spitting something out once it is in their mouth because of the way their tongues are made.) I saw just a glimpse of metal. My heart skipped a beat, it was a straight pin from my pincushion. I quick scruffed her and forced her mouth open and looked for the pin and I didn't see it. Terrified, I took her to the kitchen where the light was better and opened her mouth again and still didn't see anything. At this point I was thinking that she swallowed it. I was ready to pack her up and take her to the vet. She wiggled and got free of my grip and so I went back to my sewing room and looked for the pin, I didn't see it right away, but there was one lying there next to my pincushion. Whew! I still wasn't 100% certain that she didn't swallow one, but she is acting fine more than 24 hours later. Moral of the story, never turn your back on both a cat and a pincushion at the same time. So much for my peaceful afternoon!

1 comment:

Amanda Jean said...

oh, my, I can't imagine a cat swallowing a pin. that gives me the willies just thinking about it.

Follow on Bloglovin