Welcome to the final week of the shoulder tie dress sew along!
The links for the previous weeks are in the right hand side bar for those of you who might need them.
Let's get started!
Week 5: Finishing the Dress (time needed: about 1 - 1 1/2 hours)
1. Fold your bodice piece in half and mark the center point of both the front and the back along the bottom edge.
2. Attach the skirt to the bodice using the same method you did last week when attaching the two tiers together. Match your center marks and your side seams. Draw up your gathers, pin and sew using a 1/2 inch seam allowance.
3. Finish this seam with a serger if you wish.
4. Press the seam toward the bodice and topstitch as with the tiers.
5. Cut your length of ribbon and place a safety pin in the end.
6. Lay your dress in front of you with the front facing you.
7. Beginning with the side nearest your right hand (the left shoulder of the dress) insert the ribbon into the casing using the safety pin to thread it through to the other side. Pull it through until there is about 18 inches left on the tail end.
8. Continue threading through the back side of the bodice. The two tail ends should tie at the same shoulder.
9. Adjust and pull the ends until they are even.
10. Fold the ribbon ends in half long ways and clip them at a 45 degree angle.
11. Apply a small amount of Fray Block or Fray Check to the ribbon ends to keep them from raveling.
12. Tie your ribbons and adjust gathers as needed for the fit you like.
13. Congrats, you are finished!
Here are a few shots of some of these dresses that I have made. For a couple of them I sewed ties instead of using ribbon.
Thanks for following along!