Heartbroken...

The events of the past few weeks in Haiti have been constantly on my mind. My heart is broken for the children who are lost and hurting and confused and possibly mourning the death of one or more parent, and almost certainly someone that they know, a friend or relative. We looked at possibly adopting a child from Haiti a few years ago and realized that we just do not have the financial resources to make that happen, so that may be part of the reason I am so torn apart for these children. I read a statistic recently where it said that the number of orphans was expected to jump from around 380,000 to over 1 million because of these earthquakes. Nearly quadruple. This would constitute approximately one ninth of the entire population. I can't even fathom that.
I was recently made aware of an organization called Churches Helping Churches. It was formed just a couple of weeks ago specifically to help churches in Haiti to begin to rebuild, and to help the families in the churches to begin to pull their lives back together. The following video is incredible. It is a difficult watch, but so very worth it. It is a sermon given by Mark Driscoll who is one of the pastors at Mars Hill Church in Seattle. He is also one of the founders of Churches Helping Churches. I urge you to take the time to watch even though it is difficult and does take about an hour and a half. It certainly put a lot of things into perspective for me.

No comments:

Follow on Bloglovin