A gift for Isabel



First of all I want to apologize for my extended absence. Life has really thrown me some curves over the last year or so and my blogging has really been sporadic at best. At times I have felt that I just have nothing interesting to say, other times I have intended to share things, but been just too busy with other things, and at other times I just have been too emotionally drained to feel like blogging. It has certainly been a time both of opportunity and challenge.

Most recently the challenge that I have had to face is the death of my mother. She passed away on May 12th after an extended period of ill health. I am torn between missing her terribly, and rejoicing that she is no longer suffering and is in the presence of Jesus. Something that is truly beyond extraordinary.

My mom was a giver. It was part of her nature from the get go. She loved to make guests welcome in her home. Whenever us kids came home, she wanted everything to be perfect for us. She loved to give gifts to people. She loved to crochet and did some sewing as well. She is the one who taught me how to sew when I was in junior high. She always tried to have hand crocheted baby gifts on hand. She usually always had one boy and one girl gift ready to go for the next new arrival. In her last few years, even though it became increasingly difficult for her, she still tried to bless each new baby with a hand crocheted gift. The dress you see at the top of this post is her last effort to crochet a gift. It was intended for a little baby girl named Isabel. Mom's health was declining rapidly when she began work on this dress. She told me many times about how she was struggling to finish it. She was worried that she would never finish it and that little Isabel would never receive the dress. It was evident that this was really a concern for her.

Mom never got to finish the dress.

I took it upon myself to make sure that this wish of my mom's came true. Mom had nearly finished all of it. There was only the last couple of inches of the skirt and part of the sleeves that weren't done. She came to a point where she just didn't have the presence of mind to be able to follow the pattern correctly. It was almost like she knew I would finish it, though. She had made notations on the pattern as to where she had left off.

So, Teresa and Isabel, this post is for you. Know that a lot of love went into this gift.

4 comments:

The Fat Kid said...

That is a beautiful gift, as well as a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing that. Our prayers are with you and yours.

Amanda Jean said...

oh, how sweet that you got to finish the dress. i'm so sorry to hear of the passing of your mom. i'll be praying for you and your family.

Gramma Roxanne said...

It is so wonderful that you were able to finish the dress for your mom! Your story brings tears to my eyes~~ I do rejoice with you that you will see her again one day when we are in heaven with Jesus. I have not lost my mother so I can only guess what you are going through. You are in my heart and prayers Roxanne

lifewithquads said...

It's beautiful and the story behind it brought tears to my eyes. I'm sure that God is passing blessings onto you with your mother at his side. May you find peace in this hard time from the many happy memories you must have shared.

Follow on Bloglovin