Lauren's Flower Girl Dress - Finished!


A while back I posted about the flower girl dress that I have been working on for a friend's wedding.   The bride-to-be wanted a one shoulder design to go along with the bridesmaid dresses, but was having a hard time finding exactly what she wanted.  Long story short... she asked me to see if I could design something more like what she envisioned.  We conversed back and forth a bit and finally agreed upon a one shoulder design with a little strap on the other side to help hold it in place, because... well you know why. :)  This black ruffle elastic was perfect for the strap.


And I think the black sash is just what it needed to finish it off.


I love that I was able to draft the pattern from the little gal's measurements so that it will be a perfect fit for her.  I wouldn't have been able to do that without having taken the Pattern Workshop Course.  

Here is a side by side comparison of the real dress and the photoshop mock up of what I had planned.  I think I got it pretty close!  The skirt was intentionally longer and the sash was also planned to be different.    I think the fabric is almost, if not completely identical.


All in all, I am pretty proud of how awesome this dress turned out!  Satin charmeuse is NOT my favorite fabric to work with, but I pulled through.  I have to confess that I was a bit nervous sewing this kind of fabric and having two cats who think anytime the sewing room door is open that "kitty wonderland" is open for business.   It really is the perfect fabric for this dress.  It has such a wonderful light, flowing drape.  It just moves beautifully!

The skirt uses two pieces the full 60 inch width of the fabric minus just the selvages.  I was lucky enough that when it was gathered as full as it would go, it was an exact fit for the bottom of the bodice.  I couldn't have hoped for it to be any better than that!

I also made a little tiered, double layer cotton petticoat to go under it, which I think is just the exact right amount of pouf without being too much and without using that itchy tulle. Plus, added bonus, she can use the petticoat with other dresses because it is a separate piece.

I am so glad to be finished with the dress and I plan to try and get it to its rightful owner in the next few days.  The wedding is only a couple of weeks away!   This is a big check mark off of my list of things to do and I'm glad to have it done before I go on vacation next week. :)

What have you been working on?  I'd love to see!

Until next time, happy sewing!

Linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The dress is absolutely stunning! And the final result is much better than the Photoshop sketch :)
I'm working on a couple of patterns I have to test, and then on to my daughter's school backpack :)

wish2stitch said...

Lovely design. Visiting from FIUF.

Anonymous said...

you did such a fabulous job! This is truly an amazing creation :)

Follow on Bloglovin