I decided to sew along with Project Run and Play this week. The challenge this week was to create your own take on the Popover Sundress by Oliver and S. I joined the party a little late so my time was very limited and on top of that, working full time cuts that time down by about 75%. I had SOOO many ideas of what could be done with this little pattern!
In the end I settled on one of the simpler ideas simply because of the time constraints. I knew I would only have about 4-5 hours to draw up the pattern and sew the dress together and so I had to abandon my love for ruffles. If I had had more time to sew I probably would have chosen something a bit more complex. I thought about doing some hand smocking at the yoke, doing some double layered ideas with ruffles at the bottom, changing the yoke a bit, but in the end, simple had to win out.
So here is what I did.
First I added fullness to both the front and the back pieces. I did this by simply adding a few inches across the center of the front and back pieces.
Then I added box pleats to the under arm area.
And pockets to the front.
It has been interesting to see different people's takes on the pattern. I wanted to remain true to the pattern, but do something a little different. I wanted someone to be able to look at it and be able to tell what pattern I had used, but see the changes that had been made, as well.
I'm also linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts for her "Finish it up Friday" post.